Sunday, September 2, 2012

Onion Rings and Cheddar Bacon Burgers

Tonight's dinner started out with a pregnancy craving. I wanted onion rings. After jumping on Pinterest, I found a recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/almost-famous-bloomin-onion-recipe/index.html

Dip *I made a few minor changes. I didn't use horseradish and instead used Apple Cider Vinegar

Onion *I wanted beer battered ones, so of course, I made changes.

Jesse drinking the beer after reminding me I needed to use GF beer
  • 1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia (about 1 pound)
  • 1 1/4 cup Bobs Red Mill All Purpose Flour
  • 1 1/4 cup Cornmeal
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 bottle beer (I used Redbridge Gluten Free beer)
  • 1 gallon soy or corn oil
  • Kosher salt







Combine all of the dip ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate.

Slice the onion (see below). Whisk the flour, cornmeal, cayenne, paprika, thyme, oregano, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl. In a small deep bowl, whisk the eggs, beer and 1/4 cup water.

Mix the dry mixture with the liquid mixture until it forms a batter. Coat the onion rings.

Heat the oil in a large deep pot over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 400 degrees. Pat off excess flour from the onion. Using a wire skimmer, carefully lower the onion into the oil, cut-side down. Adjust the heat so the oil temperature stays close to 350 degrees. Fry about 3 minutes, then turn the onion over and cook until golden, about 3 more minutes; drain on paper towels. Season with salt and serve with the dip.


 Here is the result




The Cheddar Bacon Burgers from Wildtree (www.mywildtree.com/lglover) were not only gluten free, but not too bad. I however did not take any pictures of them.
And here is one of the reasons (if not the main reason) why I cook gluten free.


Dinner tomorrow night is chicken strips, fried pickles and roasted green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment