Saturday, September 1, 2012

Banana Oatmeal Muffins






   The other night we got down to the last of the bananas. You know, when they start turning brown and you stop eating them. Or at least we do in our house. There is always the tried and true banana bread, but in a gluten free household, flour is at a premium. When I spend over $7 on two pounds of all purpose flour, I tend to horde the stuff. So finding something that tastes good and doesn't use flour is a bonus.

Pinterest has some amazing looking things. But really until I've tried it or someone I know has, I really don't know how its going to turn out.

I used the recipe for Banana Oatmeal muffins from Keeping Up With the Joneses. I made a few changes. I used 3 bananas instead of 2, I added cinnamon (cause in my opinion banana bread needs cinnamon) and I baked them in mini muffin tins.

 Ingredients
*2 /1/2 cup oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)

*1 single serving cup (or 1 cup) of plain low fat greek yogurt

*2 eggs

*3/4 cup sweetener of choice, I used the real stuff: sugar! or 2 tbs stevia sweetener

*1 1/2 tsp baking powder

*1/2 tsp baking soda

*3 bananas

Important: The paper liners don't work well when baking with a base that does not include flour, they always seem to stick to the paper. I sprayed the muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or you can use foil cupcake liners or a silicone muffin pan.


Let the Baking Begin!
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners, (or just use a silicone muffin pan). *I have baked them both as mini muffins and as regular ones. The minis came out SO much better.
2. Place all of the ingredients, including bananas in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth. *Important: I add the oats a cup at a time and then add the liquids. I have to stop the blender and stir a few times throughout as well. 
3. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.*if using the mini muffin tins, cut bake time in half
4. Most importantly: Enjoy!!!

Here is how they turned out


And here is Jacob enjoying them

These were a HUGE hit with everyone in the family. Super easy to make. Moist, not too dense.

Please feel free to share my posts, pin them, whatever you would like to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment