Saturday, September 8, 2012

Baked Blackberry Oatmeal

Once upon a time I made baked oatmeal. No one liked it. Then my husband and oldest son went blackberry picking. I needed something to do with these berries. We made a compote for pancakes and then I found a recipe for a different baked oatmeal here.

And I wouldn't be me if I didn't make changes :-)

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 – 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, plus more for top
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 cups blackberries, or other fruit

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8” square baking dish.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, baking powder, spices, and salt.

In a small bowl whisk together the milk, egg, and butter.

Spoon in the oat mixture, and then pour in the milk mixture. Press the remaining berries into the oats, and sprinkle top with cinnamon.
Bake for 35 – 45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling vigorously and the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Slice up and serve with a sprinkle of fresh berries.

This was amazing!

After it was baked
The aftermath


No comments:

Post a Comment